|Flowforming is a chip-less, high technology metal-forming technique for the production of seamless tubular components. |
Flow forming is a volumetric rotary forming process to manufacture economically axis-symetric hollow parts mainly cylindrical components.
It is a technique of stretching material from a blank or preforms where the material rotated, and is stressed in a particular zone, above the yield point so that it can flow in an axial direction. This pressure is applied by three steel flowforming rollers, where the material flows over a sized mandrel to the final required dimensions, in two or more passes. In general all metals can be flowformed, provided that they are homogenous and fine-grained.
Advantages of Flowforming:
- Short lead times
- Design freedom
- Low tooling costs
- Improved Part Quality
- High Diameter to length ratio
- Tapered / stepped wall thicknesses possible
- Good surface finish and high dimensional accuracy
- Consistant and increased mechanical properties
- Optimum grain flow resulting in refined grain size
- Economical unit prices - even on medium and small batches
- Wide choice of usable materials including hardened materials